Saturday, November 30, 2013

Craft show skip out.

I skipped out on the craft show folks. I had less items than I was comfortable with. I didn't have nearly enough Christmas stuff, and I didn't have enough "cheaper" items. See, I don't think you should sell yourself short. If you make something, if you take your hands, your brain and your talent and put it all to good hard work, and you actually create something, it's worth a lot more than a few bucks. It may take the right buyer, but hold on to it until you get what your time, skill, love and work is worth. It's worth more than just getting the money back on supplies. It's worth more than minimum wage an hour. It's worth blood, sweat and tears dammit! And I love my makes. I love every single one. That's why I decided to make them. I'm proud of them all. Even the ones that were just mess arounds and try outs. That's how you get to your best. You try things out. Now, I don't like to stick to just one thing. I like to make things with my hands, if it's hair pins, sculpting out little birds, painting, building rta jewelry boxes, casting resin, crocheting, any other needle work, or digging in the dirt. I try my best, and I'm not very good at most of that stuff. But I like it. I want to get better. I want other people to like it. No. I want other people to LOVE it. I want people asking me to make specific things, because  they know I'd do a fantastic job. So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to devote more time to my craft. I'm not going to rush through anything anymore... with the exception of the Christmas present I'm working on. It has to be done soon. It will turn out beautifully though. I know it will, because I'm making it for my mommy. =) So I'm not selling myself short. I expect big things to happen with my crafts. I want to be the best I can be. My prices are fair. As  a consumer, please consider the time and skill that goes into each project. Please understand that the people that go balls to the wall with their skills, are passionate because they're working towards their best. They're probably putting everything they've got into each tiny sliver. I think people WANT handmade  but think it's too expensive, because they don't think about what goes into each item. If they did, they'd understand why the prices are what they are (as long as you're pricing fairly). That's not saying go bare minimum. If you know you can sell it for more, you've got to keep the ball rolling. You have to make money to resupply and pay for your time. You need to make profit. So I encourage you crafty folks out there to go balls to the wall!!

Until next time,
Tonya @WoollyGhoulie

No comments:

Post a Comment