Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Resin Castin' Motha' YEAH!!!!

I have FINALLY received my resin molds in the mail today!! I've had my resin epoxy for about two weeks, and I've been looking for cheap ways to color my resin with.
Well, I bought Easy Cast resin. It's super easy to do. The instructions and trouble shooting tips are extremely easy to understand. A little bit goes a long way. So I'm glad for my first go round, I got a small kit. There's some helpful tips in there, like filling your mold with water before you mix the resin together, so you know how much to make, and you aren't wasting your resin epoxy mix. It's too expensive to waste. The small kit I got was about $14.00. But, like I said, it goes a long way, at least for what I'm using it for. The molds I purchased aren't very big. I recommend definitely getting rubber molds that are very flexible for things that have crevices, like flowers. The reason for that is, you need to make sure you get your mold casting release spray in every crevice. You need to test the release spray and resin on the back of your molds before you go pouring resin inside your perfectly wonderful mold. If whatever spray you're using isn't going to work with your mold for some funky reason, you need to know. It can ruin a perfectly fine mold. Waste. That's what you would have. Waste doesn't make a penny.
So today, I used eye shadow to color my resin. It was super cheap at Family Dollar, I think I spent $3.50 on eye shadows and I got seven different colors. You can also get eye shadow pallets on eBay for cheap. I haven't ventured into anything other than two molds. One is a cameo and the other is a mold that has three small flowers. The cool thing about the eye shadow is, it has a shimmer affect to it. I think these castings will be really pretty when they're done. I'm going to experiment more the day after tomorrow, after I find out if I can release these casts without ruining them. The Easy Cast says that it takes up to 73 hours for a hard cast, which is what I want. I don't want something pliable, just to make a mess of it.
Hopefully, if anyone is thinking about doing some resin casting, this helps out a little bit! I would suggest checking out Amazon and eBay for your molds and resin. And when you go mold shopping, make sure you can use them with resin!! You don't want ones that are for just food. So, there's a few tid bits of info for you. Happy casting!
Until next tome!
Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment